Monday, July 12, 2010

Predators

Meaningless

“A meaningless story,” commented my uncle who had watched the movie earlier. I asked for his opinion before making the decision to watch the movie or not. After getting his opinion, I decided not.
The decision
However, I overturned my decision eventually. It was my second off-day. Routinely, on that day, it is movie plus swimming day for me. I had 2 choices of movie to watch; the other one is Twilight: Eclipse. Since I thought that the latter was too teen-flick for a grown up (old) person like me, I chose the former.

Within expectation
As expected, the movie was packed with blood, killings and all the gore scenes which were not suitable for all audience (It was rated NC 16). The storyline was predictable. Why was it always left with no more than 2 persons alive in the end? Why not all?
The idea
However, that issue aside, it was always interesting to see how a movie/story was created to provide an ideal world for mankind to live. It was always interesting how human instinct would react in desperate moments. People would do anything to save themselves including sacrificing other’s life. That’s what happened throughout the movie. But despite that ugly side, it also shows the ideal side whereby some of the characters were willing to sacrifice themselves in order to save others. In fact, most of the characters were willing to do such noble thing leaving the predators and one serial killer as the bad guys. Come on, would we really sacrifice ourselves for others, especially for those who we barely know in order to save our backside?
The reality
In reality, with exceptions of few, human are selfish. How many unborn child were killed just to hide the fact that we love sex but we don’t want to carry the burden to take care the upcoming result of it? How many people complaining about the tax they pay when they perceive that the government doesn’t really deliver what they want (not what they need)? How many people had a fierce fight in court over the right of custody over children just to prove that ‘I was right and you were wrong’ without thinking the devastating damage done to the children psychology as a result of a divorce? Human are as ugly as predators because of their selfishness.
Suggestion
This movie suggested what kind of human we should be. Don’t be selfish. Be selfless. Do not unleash the predator inside. A simple idea but difficult to execute.

In the end, I beg to differ my initial stand about the movie. It is not meaningless after all.

No comments: